Thursday, September 11, 2014

Vancouver, Day 5: Fort Langley, Bubble Tea, and More

Alex and Maria had the day off.  Alex went paintballing (I actually chickened out at the last minute).  I ended up going with Maria on a day trip to Fort Langley.

Fort Langley is in farm country, along the Fraser River.  It's quite nice, but it's easy to get turned around while driving, which did happen a few times on our way there.  Eventually, we made it.

We stopped for brunch at Country Fair Bistro Cafe & Patio.  I had Eggs Benedict.  The whites of the eggs weren't cooked enough in places, which was kind of a bummer.

After going through at least three antique shops, there was a cranberry store.  Apparently, there's a cranberry festival every year in Fort Langley, and being a small town, it's a huge thing in the area.  One activity is 'bobbing for cranberries', which I would imagine is like bobbing for apples without the frustration you get when you never, ever get any apples (because they're too big to bite into while blindfolded).  Sounds fun.

After picking up Alex (and getting lost again on the way there), we all went for bubble tea.  I had never had bubble tea, so I didn't know what to expect.  I learned that it's like a smoothie on top, and a small amount of hot tea on the bottom.  You can get black tapioca 'pearls' in the tea part if you wish, and you can add milk.  You can make the smoothie as a slush or as a juice, and you can get any combination of smoothie flavors as you want.  I got a slush jackfruit, peach, and pineapple with pearls and no milk.  It was surprisingly good.

 When we got back, I made dinner.  For an appetizer, I made guacamole on toast.  There were mushroom sandwiches for dinner, and for dessert, I made buttered and spiced peaches.  We called it a day soon after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment