Thursday, September 4, 2014

Taking Off

After waking up at 3 AM, I boarded the shuttle from Redding to the Sacramento Airport.  That went great, although everybody seemed to be too groggy to talk much (understandably).  Then, I was dropped off at the airport.

I hadn't been to an airport since a year ago, when I went to Ireland.  The sheer vastness of these places astound me.  In Redding, there's a flight to and from San Francisco, and a nice Chinese restaurant upstairs, but that's it.

After figuring out the flight was in Terminal B and not Terminal A, I went through security.  At first, they turned me away because I forgot to get a boarding pass.  I decided to get one at a nearby kiosk.

After security (and nearly losing my wallet), I figured out the gate the flight was leaving from.  After that, I got to the good part: food!

For breakfast, I got a plain crepe served with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and melted butter on top.  That cost $6.  That may sound like a lot, but it's fairly cheap for this airport.  It was also very good.

Yet for every good thing in a day, there seems to be a bad thing that pops up when it's over, like an antagonistic version of Whack-a-Mole.  So what was bad?  Lunch.

Famous Famiglia's credits itself as being "New York's Favorite Pizza".  I call bull.  The crust literally tastes like cardboard, it's so soaked in grease that a sponge might be used to sop it up, and the cheese tasted like it had been in the fridge for at least two weeks.  Luckily, I was too cheap to put any other toppings on it besides cheese, and I had only one slice.  However, it was expensive, especially for what it was.

To make up for that, I splurged a bit and got a better (but more expensive) dinner in the Seattle airport.  I had a pulled pork, green onion, and cheddar quesadilla with sour cream and guacamole on the side, topped with barbeque sauce.  That set me back $12, but it was worth it.

So, to sum up airport food at $14 a day, I'll just say it's really hard to do unless you go for fast food.  I certainly couldn't do it, but maybe that's just because I just started budgeting this way.

When my friends picked me up in Vancouver, we went for ice cream (I got one scoop of lavender and one scoop of lemon).  After that, they drove me over to their house, and I got some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment