Monday, September 8, 2014

Vancouver, Day 4: Montreal Smoked Meat, North Shore, and More

For coffee on my fourth day in Vancouver, we went to JJ Bean, a local chain coffee shop operating mostly in Vancouver.  The coffee was superb, and so was the marzipan-stuffed croissant crusted with sliced almonds.

We then decided to take a drive up to the lookout at Cypress Provincial Park.  It was a great view, I could see all of Vancouver.  Afterwards we went back and stopped in North Vancouver for a bite to eat.

We went to a place specializing in Montreal smoked meat.  It was very good; it tasted like smoked roast beef, and the texture was that of thinly-sliced ham.  I had it with an egg on a rosemary bagel crusted with rock salt.

We drove to the North Shore, an upper-class part of Vancouver.  For all of you who are familiar with the Bay Area, think Marin County, except slightly less pretentious.  There was an indoor public market, so we went in.

I actually liked it better than the one at Granville Island.  It was bigger, and seemed to be frequented more by locals than your average tourist.  I got a cup of ginger ale.  Forget the canned Canada Dry stuff, this was the best.

Back at home, Alex worked a bit in the kitchen while we listened to some music.  Afterwards, we picked Maria up (I forget from where) and went to Alex and Maria's friends' house for dinner.  We played some tabletop games there as well.

Afterwards, it was time to go home and go to bed.  It was a good day.  Also, I only spent $10 on food!  That meant I had $18 to spend the next day if I felt the need to.

Stay tuned for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment