Saturday, September 6, 2014

Vancouver, Day 3: Dosas, Salvadorean Food, and More

Today was a day of planning and errands.  Not ideal, but necessary for traveling slowly.  Also, I got to explore the area around where I'm staying a bit more.

I started my day off with a cup of coffee at Float On ($2.50).  Seriously, that stuff is addicting.  I then planned out some things I wanted to do; Vancouver Island and the Fraser Valley were both possibilities.  I also wanted to get a haircut, so I found a place on Kingsway that I might go to soon.

After Float On, I got a tomato and ham Eggs Benedict from Co-Zi Cafe, which was very good.  The Hollandaise sauce was different than what I'm used to having at Gold Street Cafe in Redding.  There was less egg yolk, just a hint of butter, and a lot more lemon juice in this one.  The change in proportions made a huge difference; the resulting sauce was creamier, lighter, and had more of a lemony flavor to it.

Near midday, I went back to Nooru Mahal to get a palak lamb dosa ($12).  It's like a burrito, except filled with curry of some sort (in this case, lamb with spinach curry), and wrapped in something like a crepe.  It was truly delicious.

Once Alex and Maria were both home, I made tuna melts.  To make them, I mixed tuna, cilantro, and lime juice, put some on bread, and topped them with cheddar cheese.  I then toasted them in the toaster oven until the cheese was bubbly.  There was some basil growing on the patio, so I garnished the melts with that.  Not bad for a kitchen with just a toaster oven!

For dinner, we went to a Salvadorean restaurant.  Two friends of Alex and Maria also joined us.  I had the Desayuno Salvadoreno (Salvadorean breakfast).  It was a cube of cotija cheese, refried beans, a tomato-egg scramble, a wedge of avocado, and something else I can't remember.  It was all very good.  I also had a pupusa (well, one half-pupusa from two different people), which was very good as well.  I also had two glasses of cantaloupe juice.  Needless to say, I was stuffed at the end.  Mine was about $14.

It was past 11 when we got home.  I was very groggy, but I know we were figuring out a possible day trip for the next day, and something about Alex and Maria possibly going with me to Seattle for my first weekend there.  We'll see what happens.  Until then, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment