Thursday, December 11, 2014

San Diego, Day 2: Liberty Station, Seafood Tacos, and More

After I got up, I decided to go to Ocean Beach. There was a hill on the way that was so steep on the way down that I slid a few times. As I descended, I saw the peninsula near Coronado Beach, which was east of the hostel. Ocean Beach was due west; I had gone the wrong way. By that time, I was over the hill, so I decided to explore onwards.

Almost immediately, I saw a large adobe structure filled with restaurants, cafes, and shops. A sign read "Liberty Station". All the restaurants seemed expensive, but I needed breakfast. I stopped in the Fig Tree Cafe. The person who seated me was quick to point out the $5 breakfast special, a breakfast burrito. It was very good; it had eggs, chorizo, salsa, and potatoes. This turned out to be quite a deal, most of the items were priced at around $10.

Liberty Station

I walked a bit through and to the end of Liberty Station, taking in the scenery. Afterwards, I went to the hostel to rest.

After a few hours, I took the correct way to Ocean Beach. It was sprinkling a bit; there was no sun that day. That wasn't what I came for - it was the octopus tacos at Mike's Taco Club. It turned out that they couldn't find any octopus anywhere. That actually impressed me; they must get it from fishermen instead of commercial fisheries. I ended up ordering the Taco Especial, a taco with scallops, shrimp, and fish. It was some of the best seafood I've had in my life. I also got some cantaloupe juice. It still had the pulp in it, which was a nice touch. They also had free refills! I ended up getting another taco because it was so good.

I saw a pier, and decided to walk down it. Shortly after stepping foot on it, I saw a rickety old shack with a beat-up sign reading "Cafe". I had to try it. I got the lobster taco with chowder. It was very good, and they didn't skimp on the lobster either. The chowder was served in an unusual way: instead of a bread bowl, the chowder was scooped onto biscuits. It was good nonetheless. I walked back to the hostel, and went to bed after a while.

Ocean Beach Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment