Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Interview: Katie Gaston, Blog Author of "Katie, On, On"

On November 25, I sat down and spoke with Katie Gaston, a fellow travel blogger.  She currently runs the blog "Katie, On, On."



Robin Heater: So, what made you decide to travel the world?

Katie Gaston: Well, that's a good question. I think that once you think about something for a long time and can't stop thinking about it, then I figure... you're not destined to do it, it's more of a thing that you just have to do. I'm passionate about learning and growing, meeting new people, and challenging myself to new experiences. So I think that's probably the foundation of it: to challenge myself and experience what I never have, while understanding people around the world that I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to. And then finally, I would say that I don't think I can start life until I do it.

RH: I read the blog... “50 Countries, 1 Pair of Shoes.” Why only one pair of shoes?

KG: [laughs] I knew I'd get this question! …Because it sounds good. Okay, technically, I will be bringing three pairs of shoes. The “one pair of shoes” idea is that you don't need a lot when you do a trip like this, so it's keeping it simple, keeping it minimalist. But the adventure is all about running those 50 countries, so my goal is to run in every single country I travel to.

RH: Has your background in business affected the way you travel?

KG: I would say so, probably because the types of experiences I'd be looking to pursue when I travel are based in business, as in my experience professionally, at least for starting the blog. It's helped me understand how to build the blog, how to market it... it's because I have that background and experience.

The network that I'll be using is Rotary International. It's a business and service network, but it's an amazing network internationally because you can go and serve and do things with people who share your same values around the world. Those values are founded both in business and in serving their local communities.

RH: Is that across the U.S., or worldwide?

KG: Worldwide. There are 1.2 million Rotary members; I'm a 'Rotaractor', which is a younger version of that, and I have been for about 4 years or so now. Rotary is an amazing network because no matter where you go, you'll always be able to find someone who has a vested interest in improving the community, as well as business connections to be able to help you if you're in a situation where you would need help.

RH: What's your opinion on Couchsurfing, Zimride, and other forms of collaborative budget travel?

KG: I think they're amazing; they're ideal. When you think of traveling 30 years ago, resources like that didn't exist. I think we're extremely fortunate nowadays that the Internet and other technology have provided us with collaborative solutions to not only meet and share cultures, but also to save money. I am a long-time Couchsurfer, and I intend to use that network abroad as well.

RH: I specialize in food geography, so I have to ask: what is your favorite meal you've had abroad?

KG: Oh gosh... honestly, it's Irish soda bread. That stuff is so good! And it's not abroad, but my favorite Irish pub in Long Beach, where I've lived for the last seven years... and I'll say it's Irish because when I was in Ireland, I went to this place called the Craic House and talked to the shop owner and told him I was from Long Beach. He said, “Oh, have you been to the Dubliner?” It turns out he knew the owner of the Dubliner. That's how I knew it was a legitimate Irish pub, when someone in
Ireland – a very small, rural community in Ireland – knew someone who owned the pub that I went to. So, at the Dubliner in Long Beach, they have my favorite soda bread ice cream, which is amazingly tasty. And it doesn't sound like you should put bread in ice cream, but it's the most brilliant concoction I've had in many, many years.

RH: Bread pudding and ice cream go together well, so...

KG: Their bread pudding is actually pretty fantastic too.

RH: Last question: after you've met your goal of 50 countries, do you plan on traveling more?

KG: Definitely. I mean, ideally, on this trip I'll make it to 50. I don't know if I'll have the energy or the funds to do that, but that's the goal. We'll see. Either way, I think my lifetime goal is 50, and then... if you're passionate about traveling, there's no reason you should stop.


External Links:

Katie's blog

Couchsurfing

Rotary International

No comments:

Post a Comment