Saturday, January 17, 2015

Review: Coava Coffee

Some new posts are long overdue on here, so I'll start with a review:

Review: I originally walked in here to get some coffee and to use wi-fi.  When I got my coffee, I had a deeper appreciation for how it was grown. 


Mr. Tweek approves this post.

I had what I think is a tie for the best espresso in Portland (the other being Ole Latte Coffee in downtown).  It was very earthy with a hint of truffle, which I would imagine is a pretty popular thing here (nearly half the pubs I've been to here have truffle fries on the menu).  It's really good coffee because they not only know what they're doing, but also where it's sourced.

Geography: One thing I didn't know before coming here is that coffee beans grown at different elevations have distinct flavors.  Coffee changes flavor depending on the ripening stage at which the beans are harvested.  Low-altitude coffee is relatively mild, while a high-altitude coffee is very strong.  This explains why coffee helped Janeway beat the Borg; it was exceptionally strong because it was grown in outer space!  (Cue standing ovation from all Trekkies who are reading this.)

All joking aside, this is an interesting idea on how terroir can be applied to other food products besides wine.  Stick around for more updates to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment