Saturday, January 11, 2014

Food Carts of Portland, Oregon

Portland is a very unique and interesting town.  Completely insane, but in a good way.  One of the first things I saw on this trip was a man on a street corner holding a sign saying "Help - Need beer".  I'm willing to bet that you'll only see that in Portland.

One of the many other things that is different about Portland is its attitude towards food carts.  Instead of putting hefty restrictions and obstacles against food carts, the city of Portland encourages it.  As long as you can afford it, and pass frequent health inspections, you can open a food cart.  There are over 600 food carts, and the selection is vast - there are carts serving wood-fired pizza, Tuscan food, Russian food, Cuban food, carts specializing in pie, you name it.  They're also usually very affordable and good.

A photo I took of a group of carts at SW Alder & 10th.

I will be reviewing the food carts I go to while in Portland.  I will also talk about the geography of the food they serve.  Check back next time when I review Taqueria Lindo Michoacan.

No comments:

Post a Comment